Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Thoughts...

I don't usually do this but I've had some extra time to myself tonight so here goes... I just finished putting the boys to bed and I was sitting in my favorite chair deciding what the most productive thing to do would be and I just couldn't decide. I started to watch the latest episode of Wipe Out but quickly decided that I would probably end up dumber by the end. Then I put Payton back in bed for the 3rd time after he informed me that is was "No dark mommy, no dark." Then I checked out a friend of a friend's blog and cried a few tears over their loss of a premature child. Then I realized Payton was up again, watching me. I then invited him up into my favorite chair and held him for a few minutes while he watched Wipe Out and I cried because I am so thankful for healthy children. Then I put him back in bed, where he has remained for the past half hour or so. Lately I've been overwhelmed with all of the latest and greatest health news. One day soy is good for you and the next day it's not. One day milk is the best thing ever invented and the next day I'm reading about people's efforts to cut out all dairy because the hormones cause premature puberty in girls. In one magazine I read about the best sunscreen and then I read articles about how toxic it is and how it's worse than the actual sun exposure. I try to cook balanced meals for my family and over the past 5 years I've made a lot of changes including switching to whole grains, cutting out processed foods, cooking with olive oil only and using real butter, among other things, but it's overwhelming. I was just reading a friend of a friend's blog (again) and her refrigerator looked like the produce section of an organic supermarket. I feel like in comparison all I am feeding my children are pestisides and hormones and I'm overwhelmed by the newly gained insight. I feel convicted to start making Sawyer's baby food and to throw out the goldfish and graham crackers but then I remember that I am dealing with and trying to feed REAL people. Sawyer has learned to spit out food he doesn't like and Payton throws tantrums multiple times throughout the day when he can't have what he wants to eat. I can't imagine what he would do if I handed him smashed beans and avocado with chips for a snack. In order to be able to sleep tonight I have convinced myself that just like everything else in life, MODERATION is key. I think I am going to start trying to buy more organic, watching less TV and reading more and adding a mineral supplement to our daily routine. Small changes at a time right?!

3 comments:

The Gaeta's said...

I couldn't agree more! I was watching this program one time and it was telling me what "ORGANIC" things are really that important, and which you are just paying extra for for no reason. Basically, DAIRY products should be organic. I buy eggs and milk organic and typically thats about it. I think that what your doing is great-everything in moderation-even for you...including Wipe Out! :)

Dora said...

Very good, my friend. Yes, it is overwhelming and confusing, but I think that common sense will get us moms further than all the articles and fads in the world. We have instincts that tell us what is good for us and our families, not to mention how much better our own bodies feel when we are eating healthy and cutting out processed stuff. But my instinct also tells me that letting my kids have McDonald's once in a blue moon is not going to kill them. Moderation is right on.

Andy and Julie Emerine said...

Isn't all of this so overwhelming?! I'm addicted to learning about health & nutrition but sometimes I just have to walk a away b/c I get so overwhelmed by all of it! Recently I read that milk is only good for you if it comes straight from the cow...even organic is pasteurized. So I guess I need to buy a cow if we want to keep loving milk.